MCA recently completed work at The Clara Barton House National Historic Site for the National Park Service. This important historic site was the first in the United States dedicated to the accomplishments of a woman, and MCA is honored to be involved with creating a plan to protect and preserve it. Located in Glen Echo, Maryland, 2 miles northeast of Washington, D.C., the property forms a part of the NPS administered George Washington Memorial Parkway system.
The building, originally constructed in 1891 as a warehouse to store supplies for the American Red Cross, was remodeled in 1897 to become the 38 Room, 13,700 SF home for the remarkable Clara Barton, American teacher, nurse and humanitarian and Founder of the American Red Cross. It remained her home and the American Red Cross Headquarters for 15 years until Clara Barton passed away in 1912. Features of the house include the original cloth bandage ceiling in the front hall and the Red Cross windows that overlook the porch from the third floor.
Click here to read more about the Clara Barton House.
Our A/E team, headed by FEA, and with MCA as architectural consultant, provided a full assessment of the existing conditions as well recommendations on how to approach the proposed renovation while maintaining the historic fabric of the structure, which resides on the National Register of Historic Places. The team provided facilities assessment, project scope definition and estimating to define the criteria for comprehensive and extensive renovations to this important historic place.