The Clarence M. Mitchell, Jr, Courthouse was constructed in Baltimore City in 1885 and is an icon of Renaissance Revival Architecture constructed with granite foundations and marble facades. The courthouse contains two of what are considered by many to be the world’s most beautiful historic courtrooms. At the time of construction, the Baltimore Sun reported that the City of Baltimore had built “a temple of justice second to no other in the world”.
MCA’s historic envelope experts were engaged to investigate and recommend remediation action for the historic arcade, which had deteriorated to the point of requiring substantial repair. Based on MCA’s findings and recommendations, comprised of field investigation, a review of historic drawings, selective exploratory demolition of existing conditions and a thorough analysis and recommendation report, MCA was commissioned to provide design through construction phase architectural services for building systems repair and replacement. MCA incorporated a combination of modern and traditional materials and methods executed in an effective but historically sensitive manner.
Have a question about this project?
Contact Anthony Gill, AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org