Located in the Towson National Register Historic District, the former Towson High School, now named the Allegheny Building, was originally designed by Smith and May and constructed in 1907. The school had an enrollment of 90 students at the time of dedication, expanding to about 400 by 1923. It served as the High School until 1925, when it was converted for use as a grammar (elementary) school. Constructed of two stories of red brick in a common bond over a basement level of coursed stone, the building is considered historically significant due to its Italianate styling, because of what it demonstrates concerning the technological shift in the use of pre-fabricated decorative metal detailing from the previous use of wood, and due to its over 70 years of use as an educational structure in Baltimore County.
Outdated as a school building and in need of significant repair, the building was transferred from Baltimore County Public Schools to the Baltimore County Government, and MCA was commissioned to design an adaptive re-use for the building to convert the facility for use as government offices. The MCA design detailed repairs and restoration to the exterior envelope, and completely upgraded most of the building interior, including all new building infrastructure.
The building now proudly continues its service to the citizens of Baltimore County, over 110 years after its original construction.
- Successful and sensitive adaptive re-use of a valuable historic resource
- Exterior envelope refurbishment, including the historic cupola
- Complete interior renovation, including all major building infrastructure
- Maryland Inventory of Historic Places No. BA-1105
Have a question about this project?
Contact Anthony Gill, AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org