Nigeria is home to more than 60 million children and adolescents, but only about 2000 pediatric medical practitioners. This new, stand-alone hospital will be the first private pediatric hospital in Nigeria.
The design faced several unusual challenges. For example, the cost to provide either permanent energy generating systems or temporary emergency generators, and to provide fuel for them in oil-rich Nigeria was cost prohibitive. Therefore, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Operating Rooms, and the Emergency Department will be provided with have emergency power, but the other patient areas and mission-critical spaces are designed with operable windows for access to fresh air and daylight during frequently anticipated power emergencies.
MCA provided all preliminary planning, programming, site selection, equipment planning and schematic design services for this project. The project has been handed over to a local firm to manage the construction document process in accordance with Nigerian building standards, while fundraising is ongoing. When built, the impact of this building will be incalculable for the children of Nigeria, their families and the medical community that provides medical care to them.
- Designed to be the first private pediatric hospital in Nigeria
- Phase 1 - 115,000 square feet, 60 initial beds; Phase 2 includes an additional 115,000 square feet, 12.5 acres, an additional 60 beds
- Services included neonatal and obstetric care, wellness care, pediatric surgery, diagnostic and laboratory testing, pediatric dental and orthodontic care, pediatric behavioral medicine and community outreach programs
- The design included the only Neonatal Intensive Care Unit in Lagos
- Accommodates biomedical research and educational programs
- Campus master planned for build out to include a nursing school and staff/ student housing
- MCA provided site selection, strategic planning, program development, equipment planning and schematic design services
Have a question about this project?
Contact Kimberly Kavanagh, AIA, NCARB, NOMA, LEED AP BD+C at email@example.com