MCA planned a three-phase complete building renovation of Burdick Hall, which is a multipurpose athletic, recreational and academic facility. An existing conditions assessment and feasibility study were completed in 2009 that included preliminary recommendations on the phasing of the work and project budget. Following the feasibility study, MCA provided design services for all three phases, which were constructed under separate consecutive construction contracts:
- Phase I included the complete replacement of roofing on approximately 70% of the facility.
- Phase II involved systemic infrastructure improvements including electrical, fire protection and safety systems. At this time, the building was connected to the central plant chilled water system. Upgrades included the replacement of the HVAC systems, installation of sprinkler systems and replacement of lighting systems in select areas.
- Phase III renovations included design for Towson’s academic program in Kinesiology, including laboratories, classrooms and offices, a building addition, enhanced building entry & canopy, new curtainwall, gymnasium renovations, upgrades to the remaining mechanical systems, replacement of windows, replacement of doors, extensive interior finish upgrades, and roofing replacement for the remaining roof.
- Unifies an extensive university academic Kinesiology program into a central location on campus
- Kinesiology program includes laboratories, classrooms and offices, as well as upgraded gymnasiums and public spaces
- Exterior modernization of a 40 year old building improved building aesthetic presence on campus , met current energy codes and replaced all major aged envelope systems
- Modernization of interior public spaces included a synthetic plaster coating over the existing CMU walls, dramatically transforming the facilities aesthetic impact while maintaining durability
- Interior renovations included comprehensive systemic renovations of major building MEP and life safety systems, new toilet rooms, renovated locker rooms and gymnasium space
Have a question about this project?
Contact John Morrel, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP at email@example.com