To expedite the much-needed improvements to the Retriever Activities Center (RAC), UMBC hired the MCA team to create Part I and Part II Program documents to define the renovation design criteria, and then expanded our services to include building design, bid, and construction phase services. The RAC Renewal project provides significantly upgraded facilities for student recreation, raises the energy efficiency of building systems, and extends the useful life of the building as a whole.
First built in 1969, and with its most recent addition in 1999, the RAC was outdated and did not compare favorably to other peer universities’ student athletic and recreational facilities. To provide improved facilities for intercollegiate basketball, volleyball, and the athletics administration, UMBC constructed a new Event Center which made more space available in the RAC for student recreation uses. UMBC’s goal was to enhance the student experience and promote fitness and wellness, which the project achieves through the dramatically upgraded lobby, fitness, and group activity spaces.
- Modernized the facility by renovation of public lobby, assembly and informal gathering spaces.
- Expanded and fully renovated recreation, weight training and group fitness spaces.
- Complete replacement of locker and changing facilities to meet current UMBC needs and industry standards.
- Improved Student Recreation offices and meeting spaces.
- Provided UMBC branding opportunities through custom graphics provided by the Owner.
- Replaced building systems to improve user comfort and extend the usable life of the building.
- Upgraded building security and lighting.
Have a question about this project?
Contact Alan Bowman, AIA at email@example.com