Located on Dorsey Creek, adjacent to the Severn River, Hubbard Hall, was named for Rear Admiral John Hubbard, the oar stroke of the first Navy varsity crew. “The Boathouse” was constructed in 1930 as the home of Navy rowing to celebrate the Navy Men’s Crew Team’s Gold Medal success in the 1920 Olympic. The building was the first at the Academy to be named for a living person, and initially served a lone crew team of 40 athletes.
90 years later, Hubbard Hall is now home to over 200 competing rowers – a program five times the original size. Given age and growth pressures, the historic building required stabilization and modernization to accommodate present and future need.
MCA was retained by the Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) to provide Phase 1 design for the design/build restoration of Hubbard Hall, to also include the repair and expansion of the existing wharf and floating docks. MCA conducted all initial feasibility, engineering and cost studies, programming, schematic design and scope definition for a comprehensive $18 million modernization project. MCA’s design and scope definition package was used by NAVFAC to solicit bids for the completion of the project on a design/build basis, and MCA was retained by the Navy to provide construction phase consulting assistance to the Owner.
The completed facility is now considered “one of the finest collegiate rowing centers in the country” and continues a tradition of proudly supporting the continuing success of the United States Naval Academy Rowing Teams.
- Building located in a National Register of Historic Places Historic District (USNA)
- MCA provided all Phase 1 feasibility, engineering and cost studies, programming, schematic design and scope definition
- The renovations required extensive waterfront pile foundation stabilization in a Critical Bay Area setting
- Bays and storage for (32) eight oared shells, (16) fours, (8) doubles and (4) singles
- 16-seat indoor moving water rowing tank accommodating 2 crews at the same time
- 3500 SF weight room, exercise rooms , 3 training rooms with 28 ergometers
- Machine and wood shop for full time boatman to keep the shells in excellent form
- Dining facility with balcony overlooking the wharf area and a 1600 SF lounge
- Third floor teaching classroom
Have a question about this project?
Contact Richard Barton, AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org
The RFP (Phase 1) design was very clear and sufficiently detailed… The plans and specifications were well coordinated amongst the different divisions. The A/E did an exceptional job of providing a design which was highly constructible… The A/E provided quick response to all submittals and the quality of the review was excellent. The A/E provided timely and thorough reports…. Construction support services were of very high quality…—Cindy Dukes, Contracting Officer, NAVFAC Washington