Named for two pioneers in modern naval counterintelligence, the 718,000 square foot Russell-Knox Building houses five military criminal investigative and counterintelligence agencies in one facility – the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS), Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI), Army Criminal Investigation Command (CID), Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), and the Defense Security Service (DSS).
A high-tech, flexible office and training facility for 3,000 personnel, the complex also includes a 488-seat food court/dining room, a 7,700 square foot fitness center, a conference center, and a retail convenience store. This secure facility is comprised of 30% SCIF and SAP areas, securing a network operations center, a watch/analytical center, a counter-intelligence training center, an armory, and a logistics center.
MCA’s joint venture team provided planning, programming, conceptual design, and design/build bridging documents as well as serving as the owner’s representative, reviewing the design/build solution and providing construction-phase services. MCA successfully led and coordinated an A/E and DoD combined project team of more than 100 personnel. This intensive undertaking provides military leadership with worldwide situational awareness.
- 719,000 GSF single building on a 129 acre site
- $361 million design/build new construction
- Complex of multi-layered security requirements - electronic and physical, interior and exterior.
- Flexible design work environments includes an open plan, raised access flooring, vertical and horizontal application of universal space standards, highly advanced communications including secured and unsecured lines to desk tops.
- Compressed schedule for both bridging documents and construction.
- Indentifies and integrates a myriad of multi-department requirements and standards
- MCA earned Exceptional performance ratings
Have a question about this project?
Contact Michelle S. Hooper, AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org
On countless occasions, Marshall Craft Associates’ responsiveness and technical capability surpassed every expectation of my staff. Marshall Craft Associates took a clear leadership role in the technical accuracy and professional conduct of their team members. . . . They have been a positive asset to our design and construction team.—Lieutenant Commander, United States Navy
MCA’s work on this project has been exceptional. The quality of the work is among the best in the Washington, DC region. Timeliness is equally important to this firm, which has been a driving requirement for this fast-tracked project. They were innovative in developing cost-effective solutions to bring the project within budget. NAVFAC received incredible support to execute this project; the RFP development was an immense task, and NAVFAC came to see MCA more as a team member that just a contractor.—NAVFAC Design/ Construction Manager, United States Navy