The Basic School (TBS) trains and educates newly commissioned or appointed United States Marine Corps officers, preparing them for duty as “Officers of Marines” officers in the operating forces. It is located at Camp Barret in the Marine Corps Base Quantico Complex. The school required a brand new dining facility and MCA was commissioned by NAVFAC to provide planning, programming and a full Part 1 design for a Design/Build procurement. Harkins Builders completed final design and construction for the project.
MCA prepared the Part 1 design and RFP documents for the new single story structure accommodating a student dining facility, media center and additional support functions. The project demolished wings A, B, C, and D of existing building 24165. The new 30,950 square foot facility, now Lopez Hall, includes seated dining for 300 officers, a complete commercial kitchen for food receiving, food storage, food preparation and serving, a media center lounge, commercial bar, multi-purpose room, Post Office, Credit Union, Post Exchange and a Chapel.
- 30,950 square feet of new construction
- Dining Room for 300 officers
- Media center lounge, commercial bar and multi-purpose room
- Extensive commercial kitchen for food receiving, food storage, food preparation and serving
- Post Office, Credit Union, Post Exchange and a Chapel
- The structural systems for the spaces required clear spanning long distances with no interior columns.
- The exterior was required to meet the Design Guidelines of the Base Exterior Architectural Plan for Mainside Architecture which included double-hung windows and classically detailed brick and cast stone materials.
- Designed and built to LEED NC Silver Standards and included a geothermal heating and cooling system.
- Anti-terrorism criteria: The facility is within a compliant controlled perimeter.
- Single story building with basement. standing seam metal room, brick exterior
Have a question about this project?
Contact Michelle S. Hooper, AIA at firstname.lastname@example.org